We have had the opportunity to go out with the elders now a few times. It is a great experience. We go out with them on Sunday after the branch meetings. We have gone with Elder Moser (the elder to the far right) to the two branches we are assigned to work with. His companion, Elder Quoibiedah, sets up the schedule. He figures we might as well have a fun time doing it. We will ford some little streams, cross a few stone fences, and wander around in the little housing developments looking for the individuals we are to visit. I don't think that Blaine and I could get back to them if we tried. We also got to go out with one of the Branch Presidents. We didn't have any luck with the visit as the father, who was the person the Branch President really wanted to visit, was not at home. We will try to visit with them this coming Monday evening. We are still trying to understand all that they are talking about sometimes with just the little difference in pronuncation.
One Sunday I was attending the Young Women class and their lesson was on dating. I didn't get much out of the lesson, except the occasion words "law of chastity", etc. At the end of the lesson, they asked if I had any additional comments to make. I had no response. One part that I had heard was the teacher talking about "paddy, paddy, paddy"--pointing around different places. I was concerned about all this "paddying" until I talked to Blaine and he said paddy meant friend. I was greatly relieved to know that she was making sure the young women had lots of friends and not serious "boy lovers" as she wrote it on the board.
It seems that when you are a senior missionary you must have some sort of wisdom to share at most meetings. The Young Women's class was not the first time that I have been asked to summarize or share comments on the topic discussed. I will be glad when I have enough understanding of what has been said that I won't feel that I am merely repeating the message already given.
These two elders are the Assistants to the President--Elder Michael and Burns. Just this week Elder Michael was reassigned as a District Leader. President Squires likes the Assistants to finish out their missions in full-time proselyting service. It is amazing to see these young elders in action. They have incredible knowledge and skills.
Last Saturday Blaine and I went on a drive around to Gloucester and ended up by the college here in Freetown. It was a beautiful drive, although in spots a VERY bumpy ride. Elder Jones had to put the truck in four-wheel drive in order to get over one stretch of the road. Sister Jones just closed her eyes. This picture, however, is how they grow their vegetables. They grow them up along the hillside. They are beautiful gardens. When the rainy season comes, the plots on the hillside will at least continue to grow. The ones down in the bottom of the valley will be washed away from what we are told.
Marcus Wallace (above) is the all-around helper for the mission. He does security at the apartments where we live, helps with cleaning the mission office, and does all the work on passports, visas, and residents permits. He is also the one who helped us get our Sierra Leone driver's license (which costs $83 us dollars). Usually it takes about 3 visits to the licensing department to get the actual license. We were lucky and we got it done in one visit. Marcus knew some one there who helped to get the process through faster. Marcus has a very interesting history. He fought during 2 different wars here in Sierra Leone. His stories are very fascinating. His conversion to the Church is also very enlightening.
For fun, I thought I would let you see how we sleep every night. The first mosquito net didn't have the support in the middle so we felt a little suffocated. This one works a lot better. It isn't too bad once you get used to it. As you can see, it is pretty transparent.
We had an enjoyable Easter. In the branch we attended, their first ever choir sang a hymn. They did a great job. There is no accompaniment here. All hymns are sung accapella. The conductor will sing the introduction, and then all the congregation joins in. You can not fault them, however, for their joy in singing. They love singing. There is a great spirit in their meetings.
We are enjoying our association with the young elders. Almost half of the elders are native--from Africa. The total number of elders is 45--we are a little low right now. We are definitely not a very big mission, but they are doing great things. We are very impressed by the quality of elders serving here and their diligence in sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ with Heavenly Father's children here in Sierra Leone.
No comments:
Post a Comment